Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Respect the Rapper

What can I say? I thought I was coming to class to discuss the painful details of my final project for TCF155.
  
I by no means would call myself a rap fan; actually I have been a “hater” for most of my life. While I appreciate artists and their skilled works, I have had a hard time finding the value in the typical rap music song. This music genre has been presented by mainstream media as created “by thugs for thugs.” Many times when I hear the stereotypical driving beat of a rap song I cringe and try to plug my ears so as to avoid being offended by vulgar language and sexist innuendo.  Honestly, I can say that before today I had never experienced a rap artist that I could relate to.

Invincible, was genuine, intelligent, well spoken, resolute, spiritual, civic-minded, and transparent – all the things I respect in another human being. Because Invincible is from Detroit, she has a hint of “gansta” in her voice but it is encapsulated and smoothed by her sincerity. In some ways this rapper fits the mold by leaving home at 15 and having lived the starving artist lifestyle, but in so many other areas, she shatters the model. Invincible has clung tight to her convictions and continues to create music that heals, inspires and ignites her listeners. What more could anyone desire when listening to a song?

No comments:

Post a Comment